Activate the jukebox and slice your self up a conventional Meatloaf Sandwich.
A meatloaf sandwich is the reply to leftover meatloaf (Turkey Meatloaf is the proper recipe), and can get you lovin’ on meatloaf in the event you aren’t so certain about it but.
While you sink your enamel into toasty, buttery bread holding collectively juicy meat with melted provolone, you’ll assume: “this might not probably be meatloaf!”
Meatloaf would do something for love! (Wait, mistaken meatloaf).
A leftover meatloaf sandwich is just not so dissimilar to a Steak Sandwich or BLT, each traditional, comforting meaty sandwiches.
I do know a meatloaf sandwich may sound like what Susie Q. would order at a Nineteen Fifties diner, however there are good the reason why meatloaf and meatloaf sandwiches have been an everlasting a part of American culinary tradition.
A Transient Historical past of Meatloaf
- Meatloaf originated as a means to make use of up scraps of leftovers and stretch protein, turning into a staple for these causes throughout the Nice Despair.
- In the present day, meatloaf continues to be a staple on the household dinner desk, as it’s simple, wholesome, tastes savory, is filling, and makes nice leftovers.
You may additionally have blended emotions about meatloaf in case you have childhood dinner desk trauma surrounding a bit of ketchup-smothered thriller meat your mother mentioned was grandma’s recipe.
I encourage you to beat your loafy bias and provides meatloaf a second likelihood with this simple leftover meatloaf sandwich recipe.
Tips on how to Make a Conventional Meatloaf Sandwich
The 1st step: Make meatloaf.
Step two: Flip it right into a sandwich!
It’s as simple peasy as a grilled cheese sandwich (like this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese), with simply 5 minutes prep time, prepared in lower than 20 minutes whole time.
- Meatloaf! This Turkey Meatloaf is the tried-and-true excellent meatloaf recipe, which will be made with floor turkey or beef. If utilizing a freshly-baked meatloaf for meatloaf sandwiches as an alternative of leftover meatloaf, let the meatloaf relaxation earlier than slicing.
- Bread. You need to use your favourite sandwich bread for making your leftover meatloaf sandwich recipe. I might select one thing sturdier like sourdough or multigrain to maintain the sandwich from falling aside.
Greatest Bread for Meatloaf Sandwich
- Sourdough is nice as a result of its oval form matches the form of the meatloaf, making for a tidy sandwich with each ingredient in every chunk.
- English Muffin Bread could be pleasant with this meatloaf sandwich recipe as a result of the little pockets of bread would get stuffed together with your mayo (or different meatloaf sandwich condiments of alternative) and cheese.
- Oatmeal Bread is one other no-knead sandwich bread recipe that’s sturdy sufficient to carry the meatloaf.
In case your bread is bigger than the meatloaf slices, you’ll be able to grill just a few additional slices of meatloaf, then piece just a few collectively for every sandwich (the cheese will maintain the items collectively).
- Butter. For coating the bread slices to toast the sandwich. You may additionally use buttery unfold.
- Cheese. I just like the gentle taste and excessive soften issue of provolone with the meatloaf, however you should use your cheese of alternative.
- Mayo. Or Greek yogurt, my favourite creamy condiment for meatloaf sandwiches. It muddles with the melted cheese to ship an ooey-gooey sandwich of your goals.
- Sear the sliced meatloaf (it’s also possible to have a chilly leftover meatloaf sandwich—see under).
- Place buttered bread in skillet. High with mayo or Greek yogurt, cheese, meatloaf, and toppings.
- Lay one other slice of bread on prime, buttered-sides up. Grill the meatloaf sandwiches on either side till bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 2 to 4 minutes per aspect. ENJOY!
Be affected person! Low-and-slow ensures melted cheese and crisp, however not burned bread. Don’t be tempted to hurry it alongside on medium-high and even medium warmth.
Tips on how to Serve Up a Meatloaf Sandwich
As with all sandwich, toppings will be king, or you’ll be able to go as Plain Jane as you please.
Sizzling or Chilly?
A meatloaf sandwich will be loved scorching or chilly (served chilly and topped with mayo is taken into account a traditional), however I’m a fan of it warmed as per this recipe for the melty cheese and toasted bread issue.
Meatloaf Sandwich Condiments
Whereas a meatloaf sandwich is just not a burger, it may be loved with comparable toppings.
- Mayo. I prefer to swap the mayo for plain Greek yogurt to maintain it gentle (and in the event you’re an OG Nicely Plated reader, you know the way I abhor mayonnaise).
- Ketchup and mustard.
- Sizzling sauce.
- Sprinkle of salt.
Extra Topping Solutions
Select your favourite toppings!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover meatloaf sandwich in an hermetic storage container for as much as 1 day.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or with a panini press, or get pleasure from sandwich chilly.
- To Freeze. Wrap individually in plastic wrap after which foil. Let thaw in a single day in fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
This recipe yields 8 sandwiches, however you’ll be able to adapt it to any quantity of leftover meatloaf. You’ll be able to prep the sandwiches the day earlier than as much as the grilling step. If grilling a single sandwich, you are able to do so in a small skillet.
What to Serve with a Meatloaf Sandwich
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Non-Stick Frying Pan. This pan is available in a number of sizes, is oven and dishwasher protected.
- Bread Knife. Correct knives for every kind of chopping and slicing job is a game-changer.
- Cooking Oil Sprayer. It is a nifty device for turning your cooking oil of alternative into a sprig.
Non-Stick Skillet Set
These Calphalon skillets will deal with any of your omelets and sandwiches with fast clear up.
Whether or not you’re a longtime meatloaf sandwich lover or simply studying to alter your tune, this fabulous meatloaf will probably be love at first chunk.
Continuously Requested Questions
Clearly, you’ll wish to do this leftover meatloaf sandwich recipe first. If nonetheless on the lookout for extra concepts, consider utilizing leftover meatloaf as you’d meatballs (meatloaf is akin to 1 large meatball, in any case). Strive it crumbled on prime of a pizza (Complete What Pizza Dough is really easy), or crumbled in a vegetable soup, reminiscent of Minestrone Soup, so as to add some protein.
Meatloaf will be made gluten free by swapping the breadcrumbs for licensed gluten free bread crumbs, after which convert your gluten-free meatloaf right into a sandwich together with your favourite gluten-free bread. Straightforward!
A meatloaf sandwich will be loved scorching or chilly! When you’ve got the time to toast it in a pan, I like to recommend it.
For the Meatloaf Sandwiches
- 4 slices leftover meatloaf see Turkey Meatloaf for a terrific recipe
- Nonstick spray canola oil, or further butter
- 8 slices sourdough or comparable bread I like an oval-ish loaf to match the meatloaf slice form
- 2 to three tablespoons mayo or plain Greek yogurt, non-compulsory
- 1/4 cup buttery unfold or softened butter
- 4 slices provolone cheese cheddar cheese, or your cheese of alternative
Coat a big, nonstick skillet with nonstick spray, or brush with oil or butter so that you’ve got a light-weight coating. Warmth the skillet over medium low. Place two slices of meatloaf on the skillet. Cook dinner on either side for till the meatloaf is frivolously browned in locations and warmed via, about 3 minutes per aspect. In case your bread is bigger than the meatloaf slices, you’ll be able to grill just a few additional slices, then piece just a few collectively for every sandwich (the cheese will maintain the items collectively).
In the meantime, unfold one aspect of every slice of bread with a skinny layer of mayo (or Greek yogurt) and the opposite with a skinny layer of buttery unfold, spreading the butter all the way in which to the sides. Take away the meatloaf slices from the skillet. Lay 2 slices of bread within the skillet, buttered-sides down. High every with a slice of cheese, slice of warmed meatloaf, and every other desired toppings. Lay one other slices of bread on prime, buttered-sides up.
Grill the meatloaf sandwiches on either side till the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 4 minutes per aspect (be affected person! Low-and-slow ensures melted cheese and crisp, however not burned bread). Repeat with the remaining two sandwiches. Let sandwiches cool a couple of minutes earlier than serving.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover meatloaf sandwich in an hermetic storage container for as much as 1 day.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or with a panini press, or get pleasure from sandwich chilly.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap individually in plastic wrap after which foil. Let thaw in a single day in fridge earlier than reheating.
Energy: 910kcalCarbohydrates: 86gProtein: 53gFats: 40gSaturated Fats: 11gPolyunsaturated Fats: 12gMonounsaturated Fats: 14gTrans Fats: 0.3gLdl cholesterol: 190mgPotassium: 852mgFiber: 4gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 1100IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 302mgIron: 9mg
Be part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Extra Mouth-Watering Sandwiches